In His last words to the apostles, Jesus gave them a mission:
"Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." (Mt 28:19-20)
Thus, the teaching mission of the Church comes from Christ himself. The responsibility for fulfilling that mandate passes on unchanged to the bishops and to all Catholics.
Within each Catholic diocese, the diocesan bishop is its principal teacher. He is assisted by clergy, religious, and lay men and women who serve as educators and catechists in Catholic institutions, including elementary and secondary schools, colleges and universities, seminaries and parishes.
Catechesis is the act of handing on the Word of God intended to inform the faith community and candidates for initiation into the Church about the teachings of Christ transmitted by the Apostles. It also involves the lifelong effort of forming people into witnesses to Christ and opening their hearts to the spiritual transformation given by the Holy Spirit.
-United States Catholic Conference of Bishops
Opportunities to serve in the area of Faith Formation include:
If you wish to consider any of these opportunities, please contact Kathy or Deb at 701.222.2259.
- Catechist - Teach weekly classes to a group of students in a classroom setting, mid-September through the end of April. Must be 18 years or older.
- Classroom Aide - Assist the catechist in the classroom. Must be 7th grade or older.
- Substitute Catechist - Fill in for catechists when they are unable to teach.
- Hallway Monitor - Monitor the gym and hallways during the session. Help catechists when needed.
- Dinner/Reception Helper (Faith Formation only) - Set up, serve, and clean up for Faith Formation meals and receptions.
- Vacation Bible School Volunteer - Assist as a small group leader or as a station leader in the early June VBS program for children. Must be 6th grade or older.
- Youth Ministry Adult Mentor - Make a difference in the lives of high school students in a small group setting, utilizing the YDisciple Outreach Program. Groups meet 2 to 4 times monthly. Training is provided.
- Youth Ministry Spiritual Support - Offer daily prayers for the youth and youth programs of our parish.
- RCIA Sponsor - Serve as a mentor in the Christian life for a non-Catholic desiring full reception into the Church. Attend RCIA sessions with candidate and be present at their Confirmation. Must be practicing Catholic who has been baptized, received the Eucharist and has been confirmed.